The yahoo group, Mystery Reader Cafe, is running the following challenge for 2009:In 2008 I read:1. Read a mystery with the word "murder" in the title
2. Read a mystery set in your region
3. Read a mystery that has been on your shelf for at least a year
4. Read a mystery from a "new to you" author
- Please remember that each challenge above should be a different book.
- Although this was created for the Yahoo reading group, anyone can participate.
- Reading challenges are personal and self-policed.
- You make the decisions if you want to change the books as the year goes on, etc.
- What's important is that it's fun and that you get to books you want to read.
1. An Expert in Murder by Nicola Upson
2. Bad Press by Maureen Carter (Birmingham setting)
3. Larkspur by Sheila Simonson (US cozy bought in 1997)
4. Most of what I read was by new to me authors so picking one I enjoyed a lot - The Eye of Jade by Diane Wei Liang.
re. No.3. I made a concerted effort to read some of the older books I had with a view that if I disliked the one I'd read I'd be able to remove the rest of the series from my shelves. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way and I ended up buying the sequel to Larkspur to fill in the gap in the books I'd got of that series!
I'll have to give some thought to 2009's choices but I plan to read more of Maureen Carter's series for no.2.