Friday, March 19, 2010

Upcoming Swedish Fiction

Quercus will now be publishing Swedish duo Roslund-Hellstrom beginning this September with Three Seconds translated by Kari Dickson:

Piet Hoffman is the best undercover operative in the Swedish police force, but only one other man is even aware of his existence. When an amphetamine deal he is involved in goes badly wrong, he is faced with the hardest mission of his life: to infiltrate Sweden's most infamous maximum security prison. Detective Inspector Ewert Grens is charged with investigating the drug-related killing. Unaware of Hoffman's real identity, he believes himself to be on the trail of a dangerous psychopath. But he cannot escape the feeling that vital information pertaining to the case has been withheld or manipulated. Hoffman has his insurance: wiretap recordings that implicate some of Sweden's most prominent politicians in a corrupt conspiracy. But in Ewert Grens the powers that be might just have found the perfect weapon to eliminate him...Intelligent, gripping, brutal, Three Seconds is the latest thriller from Roslund and Hellstrom, the heirs apparent to Stieg Larsson and Henning Mankell as masters of Scandinavian crime.

I've added this title to my amazon list of Scandinavian Crime Fiction published in 2010.

Anders Roslund is an award-winning journalist and Borge Hellstrom, is an ex-criminal.

I'll have more Quercus snippets to report over the next few days.

2 comments:

Maxine Clarke said...

This is very good news. I'm looking forward to this one, based on having thought a lot of The Vault (aka Box 21, a title that better reflects the book, I think). I am glad you have managed to track down a translator for this, because none was named in my copy of Box 21/Vault, nor on the publisher's website (not Quercus). I haven't read The Beast, their other book so far translated, because I was a bit scared by the reviews.....The Beast comes before Box 21/The Vault in order.

Ceska said...

I had a hard time gettnig into this book. I received an advance US copy and had a hard time staying interested. It was choppy and the dialouge was weird a sentence would start strond and end weak. Again it could be because it was an advance copy but it was trying a little to hard to be intense. I may circle back around to it againa nd see if I can get into it. Not really that impressed on first impression though.