Monday, March 15, 2010

What I'm Listening To

One of the audiobooks I've got on the go at the moment is The Preacher by Camilla Lackberg (tr. Steven T Murray) and narrated by Cameron Stewart.
(Win a copy of The Preacher and The Stonecutter books, here.)

I've been chuckling at some of the passages including this one where the lead male character, Patrik is contemplating the poor driving exhibited in the summer resort of Fjallbacka:

"The terrain was apparently so rugged where they lived that they felt the need to drive a big four-wheel-drive Jeep. That type of vehicle was far too common among the summer visitors. Patrik surmised that in this case the Stockholm region was considered rugged terrain."

I listened to that bit on Saturday night but my laughter would have been slightly more hysterical if I'd listened to it today as this morning my stationary, small, economical car got clipped by a Mitsubishi Shogun: the driver trying to fit a quart into a pint-pot parking space. Seems to me if you're driving a car you should know how wide it is. So lots of hassle for me, the innocent party as it'll probably need a new back brake light set and the dint repairing. The Mitsubishi however only sustained light scratches to its bumper.

3 comments:

Maxine Clarke said...

Oh what a pain, Karen. This problem with these "Chelsea tractors" is a known problem- these pseudo-range rover types with their silly huge cars are so well protected that they constantly crunch up the smaller, more economical and environmentally friendly variety. Where I live you can't move for these stupid vanity cars, usually driven by people who haven't a clue of their size or who is behind them. The local supermarket car park spaces are too small to fit them so people with "normal" cars are constantly being scraped....very irritiating and costly (as the drivers usually go blissfully off, unaware of the damage they leave in their wake).

It is enough to make one commit a crime! ;-)

Bernadette said...

Sorry to hear about your car incident - you needed some kind of james bond style spear to be able to project from your fender and slash the Shogun's tyre.

Unfortunately THE PREACHER is not available at audible which is where I get my audio books from (our libraries here have such poor selections and the CDs are too expensive to buy). But THE STONECUTTER is available so I'll add that one to my audio library

Karen (Euro Crime) said...

Maxine - I think I've just been lucky. In 20+ years of driving I've (only?) had 3 people hit my car(s).

Bernadette - I'm enjoying the narration of The Preacher - it's a shame that they've only got the newest one available. Erika has some great lines in this one and the lovey-dovey stuff of The Ice Princess is, so far, less present.