Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Merry Misogynist - cover opinions

Colin Cotterill's The Merry Misogynist is the sixth in his Dr Siri Paiboun series set in 1970's Laos.

There are three covers to consider today: the US one on the left which is to be published on 1 August, the UK hardback in purple or the recent UK paperback (below) which marks the beginning of a new look for this series.

So what are you thoughts on the US and UK covers? Which would entice you to pick the book up if you were not familiar with Colin Cotterill?

Here is the Euro Crime review, by Michelle, of The Merry Misogynist.

US -------------------------------------------------UK (HB)

---------------------------------------------UK (PB)

6 comments:

Bernadette said...

The UK hardback seems the most inviting, then the US then the UK paperback. but I'd read Cotterill if it was wrapped in plain brown paper :)

Anonymous said...

Karen - Hmm..I think I like the UK hardback the best. I believe it's the contrast between the foreground and background I like.

Barbara said...

I've never liked the scalpel thingy on the Soho covers, but I like the image below much the best of the three (though I could do without the purple stripe). The others look too travelogue/childish to me.

I wouldn't say any of them would coax me to pick the book up.

Maxine Clarke said...

Looking at these covers as a one-off, I like the UK paperback and the US hardback (in that order). However, the UK hardback is part of a series of covers which since book 1 have been a different colour, and I think this "branding" works very well. In short, I like them all. But although the US cover is aesthetically nice, it does not really capture the lunacy of the books.....

Bernadette said...

I remember Cotterill writing a blog post of his own about his book's covers and he said which ones he likes more but I can't find it now. I think he had something against the pretty 'branded' UK hardback versions but I'm not 100% sure.

kathy d. said...

I like the UK paperback, the colors, the graphic, the fonts.

The US hardcover looks boring and the UK hardcover I don't get and the character looks kind of weird.

Covers don't persuade me to buy books, but rather reviews, blogs, friends' recommendations and perhaps award nominations or wins, but very rarely covers unless I'm already motivated to buy the book.