Friday, July 16, 2010

Summer read? The Toff at Butlin's

I've been having a clear out of some books that I know I'm never going to read. My tastes have changed over the last 10-15 years so what I bought then, often no longer appeals. I discovered this one and I just love the cover and I'm going to keep it though the pages are brown with age. My edition is 1958 but The Toff at Butlin's came out in 1954. Mr Butlin appears in it apparently and there is also a map of the camp!

In the gay atmosphere of a Holiday Camp, the Toff sets out to find three missing men - and quickly discovers an exciting and eventful trails leading to...murder!

3 comments:

Uriah Robinson said...

A wonderful reminder of how this country, and the usage of words have changed over the years.
It was a time when many of the ordinary people of London went hop picking in Kent for their holiday so I expect Butlin's was for the slightly wealthier.

Martin Edwards said...

They just don't write them like that any more!

Dorte H said...

A real vintage cover.