Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Ruso and the Root of all Evils - Cover Opinions

Much to consider today - the same book has two titles, two covers and two author names (sort of).

Ruth or RS Downie's third Roman book is Persona Non Grata in the US and Ruso and the Root of all Evils in the UK. Here are the two recent paperback covers to muse over.

So what are you thoughts on the US and UK covers? Which would entice you to pick the book up if you were not familiar with Ruth/R S Downie?

Here is the Euro Crime review, by Paul, of Ruso and the Root of all Evils.

5 comments:

Bernadette said...

Definitely prefer the one on the right...it sort of screams ROMEish type things while the other one just whispers very quietly

Maxine Clarke said...

If I had to choose, I like the cover of the UK version better (the one with the man in toga, etc), it is a better photograph and looks more classy, a bit more than your standard "generic murder" cover - but I prefer the US title "Persona non grata". Whether the author is Ruth or R. S. does not matter to me, but J K Rowling supposedly had to use initials rather than Joanne because boys would not want to read a book by a woman (apparently!) so this may be a factor at play here?

Frankly I probably wouldn't read either version because I don't usually read ancient history novels- and having read too many of the series by Linsday Davies I think I've had enough of Roman crime fiction until something really stunning comes along.

Lori Thornton said...

I definitely prefer the UK cover.

kathy d. said...

I like both covers for different reasons. The one on the right is more historical and gives a sense of Rome. But that title doesn't appeal to me.

The U.S. title and size of fonts appeals to me.

I find that with middle-aged eyesight I am very drawn to bigger, clearer fonts of titles and authors' names. That makes a difference to me.

LauraR said...

I would like the UK man in the toga on the US marble blue background!