Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Poison Tree - Cover Opinions

This week's selection for "cover opinions" is the US and UK covers for Erin Kelly's The Poison Tree which came out in hardback in June in the UK. The US edition, is due out in January 2011.

So what are you thoughts on the US (LHS) and UK (RHS) covers? Which would entice you to pick the book up if you were not familiar with Erin Kelly?
(For the UK edition the ends of the pages are also green!)

If you have read it, how well does the cover match the story?

Here is the Euro Crime review by Maxine of The Poison Tree.

7 comments:

Jose Ignacio Escribano said...

No idea of what it is all about but I would rather choose the UK cover (RHS).

Anonymous said...

Karen - I like the UK cover the best. It's more evocative, I think.

Maxine Clarke said...

I like the green cover best and think it matches the story well, as most of it is set in a hose with a leafy, overgrown garden backing onto a park. However, the red cover is quite striking and possibly more commercial. (Well, I once read an article saying that green magazine covers don't sell unlike red, blue, etc...that's about all I know on that topic!)

Sarah Hilary said...

Not read it, but wouldn't go for the red cover - looks like cheap Christmas wrapping paper - the green one gets my vote.

Nikki in Niagara said...

Well the red one does have a tree on it while the green one looks more like ivy. But the green one wins hands down for me. It's a gorgeous picture full of secrets and would make me want to read it. I haven't, btw.

Maxine Clarke said...

Hmmm, set in a hose, sounds like a Mo Hayder book! I meant house of course, sorry.

kathy d. said...

Neither cover gets me. I do think the US one looks commercial and am not crazy about red. Like green better, but the cover picture is of a building, nothing to do with a tree.

What I would prefer is a photograph of a big, beautiful tree, perhaps set on a cold, stormy night, in the English countryside. That would show a tree and evoke a sinister mood and mysteriousness.