Saturday, January 01, 2011

Favourite Reads of 2010

My personal favourite reads of 2010 are all translated crime which is about 98% of what I read, so it is not surprising, nor that there's a heavy overlap with the International Dagger shortlist.

European Favourites

Tonino Benacquista - Badfellas
Arnaldur Indridason - Hypothermia
Stieg Larsson - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest
Yrsa Sigurdardottir - My Soul to Take
Johan Theorin - The Darkest Room

Non-European favourites

Deon Meyer - Thirteen Hours
Claudia Pineiro - Thursday Night Widows

Runners-up include the audio books of Camilla Lackberg's The Preacher and The Stonecutter and Marek Krajewski's Phantoms of Breslau.

4 comments:

Sarah Hilary said...

I've made a note to read Deon Meyer in 2011. Thanks for the prompt.

Anonymous said...

Karen - Those are some terrific reads!

Dorte H said...

Happy New Year and thank you for keeping up this wonderful blog.

kathy d. said...

At last a list where I can say I have read six of the seven books.

I also put "Hypothermia," and "The Girl who Kicked the Hornets' Nest," in my top 10. If I'd written a list of 11, I'd have added in Piniero's excellent book.

Thank you so much for this wonderful (and educational) website, and the blogs, reviews, book news, awards updates.

And, one of my personal favorites, Cat-urday, showing the Cat-o-capers.

Happy New Year! Onward to more great global books and terrific reviews!