Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Potsdam Station - Cover Opinions

This week's selection for "cover opinions" is the US and UK covers for David Downing's Potsdam Station.

So what are you thoughts on the US (LHS) and UK (RHS) covers? Which would entice you to pick the book up if you were not familiar with the books of David Downing?

If you have read it, how well do the covers match the story?

In the UK, Potsdam Station was published last year and the paperback came out in January. It will be published in the US on 5 April.


6 comments:

The Mole said...

I feel the UK one looks like a book depicting the destruction of life and relationships whereas the US version depicts the destruction of property. I would be more likely to pick up the UK version.

Mediations said...

Although I prefer the UK cover I am tempted to say neither.

I have bought each title of the series as it came out, and they are in two different sizes and two and a half different spine designs. I am not a compulsively neat arranger of books, but a little consistency across a series is nice.

Dorte H said...

I wouldn´t have guessed the American one was a modern novel at all. It looks like a boring school book from the 70s. The UK cover is much better, and I like the sepia colours which suggest a photo from that time.

Steve Anderson said...

I'm tempted to say neither as well. The US one is simply grim without telling anything about the story and could indeed be a non-fiction book. The UK one does the job though it hints at more romance than mystery/espionage. Love these cover posts, though.

kathy d. said...

Usually I like the UK cover better, but it conveys romance to me, with huge, intact buildings in the background, and a plane flying overhead, for an unknown reason.

The US cover more shows the destruction of war, which is a reflection of reality. However, it is so gray and the scene is in so much ruin, that it isn't a compelling cover, but a depressing one. War is depressing, true.

LauraR said...

I prefer the US cover, the UK cover looks a bit too much like a wartime romance novel.